Sunday, April 19, 2009

shoes made for walking

So true to my word, here are some of the shoes I've been working on for the last several months.

A little explanation. Last year I bought a pair of canvas shoes, and after walking around in them for a few weeks, I felt the strong urge to enhance them by drawing all over them. I personally loved the result and wore them everywhere I walked.

Months after the smoke had cleared, my father mentioned his desire for a pair. Around Thanksgiving break, 2008 I finally got around to drawing a pair for him as well. It took me several months to finish (the limiting reactant being a mix of indecisiveness and laziness), but both he and I were pleased with the result.

Here are some of the pictures (courtesy of Denise Ledvina):
After I completed his shoes, I went to work making a new pair for myself. Unlike my last pair, I only don these new shoes for the Sabbath and holidays (and despite the infrequency, I've already managed to accrue some faint wine stains from Eliyahu haNavi's cup which fell to the floor during the second Seder!).

This image was taken from the first edition cover of one of my all time favorite books, the Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. Here is the actual cover in case you're curious:

That's all for now. I'll post more pictures when I have finished the second shoe. I've contemplating doing some free-lance work if you're interested in having a pair.

3 comments:

  1. i can definitley see your dad rocking those shoes all over town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saved 3 potential candidates to my favorites on Zappos.

    ReplyDelete